Important information regarding sports grounds - update

As of Thursday 21st March, the grounds from Porirua City Council have been opened for training.

This will continue to be monitored on a daily basis by the council so we need to be aware of:

If you have a ground booked please check the PCC grounds website prior to training

When training on a ground PLEASE do not continue to use the same spot until the ground is cut up. The council are very strong on this and if there are any signs of teams not adhering to this then the grounds will be closed indefinitely.

As a club we need to be proactive in working with the council to ensure all facilities are looked after so that we can let our footballers enjoy their sport. Any deviation from this by a few people could see us all miss out. The club is in constant contact with PCC to make sure that there is a clear understanding of the situation.

If you have any issues please contact either Junior Chairman, Dean Eagar or Administrator, Jo Sweeney.

Please see below an important message from Capital Football regarding use of sports grounds.

This can also be viewed at

Kia ora

Capital Football met yesterday with the various Councils and other winter sports codes to discuss the condition of the fields due to the current drought. Below is information for all Clubs, to be forwarded to all players, parents and coaches.

Junior and senior preseason training and games for winter sports codes have been banned from using all grass sportsfields in the Wellington region – including Wellington, Lower Hutt, Upper Hutt and Porirua. This includes grass training areas in Wellington, Lower Hutt and Porirua.

Wairarapa and Kapiti Coast District Councils are currently considering whether they will also be applying the blanket ban.

The various city Councils indicated their primary concerns were around player safety due to the hard grounds, the dry condition of fields with not much grass cover, and the inability to irrigate fields under the terms of the current outdoor water ban.

Wellington Regional Council is in daily contact with the various city councils regarding the water shortage. The recent rain has not changed the situation, with Wellington City Council still drawing water from reserves although they are looking into alternative options. However, with fine weather forecast for the next 10-14 days, the situation is likely to worsen. Restrictions now on the usage of grass sportsfields will assist with ensuring the fields recover enough for the season to start on time on 6 April and that by mid-winter they’re not mud.

All primary and secondary schools are also being advised to make their fields off-limits to preseason activity.

Impact on Start of Season

Postponing the start of the season is not currently being considered. However, there is likely to be a restricted or staggered start. The draw for the first weekend is on the Capital Football website, however be aware there will likely be changes once the situation is reassessed closer to the time. What is being considered is a 50 percent reduction on natural field usage.  We are looking at maximising all available artificial space, including time slots that were unpopular last season, eg 7.30pm on Saturday and Sundays, to ensure all games can be played during the season. Changes to the draw will be made to the fixtures section on our website by the evening of Friday 5 April.

Impact on Clubs

We realise this is a major disruption to preseason preparation for Clubs. We are working with the Councils and other sporting codes on managing the bookings of artificial turfs.  We ask that you consider alternatives for preseason training, such as at the ASB Sports Centre in Kilbirnie, sessions at a swimming pool, gym, beach, school halls, and tennis courts, for example.

Also a reminder that changing rooms will continue to be closed until further notice under the water ban due to the potential use of showers.